ADS-B Out, are you prepared for the change?
ADS-B OUT (Automatic Dependant Surveillance – Broadcast) requires that the aircraft transmits its own GPS position via the Mode S transponder, regardless of whether the aircraft is being interrogated by a ground radar or by other aircraft’s TCAS. The GPS source must meet high accuracy and integrity requirements only available from a qualified WAAS GPS.
The European airspace mandate for ADS-B Out is effective from June 2020, and from January 2020 for US operations.
Understanding the ADS-B 2020 mandate.
Harry Lees, our principal European avionics consultant has over four decades of experience working across various types, here he explains the basics of ADS-B and why action is required sooner than later in your aircraft maintenance routine.
The European airspace mandate for ADS-B OUT is effective from June 2020, and from January 2020 for US airspace operations.
All aircraft with a MTOW of 5700Kg or above, OR a max cruising TAS of 250kts or above at ISA, must comply (the same requirements as the current EHS Mode S transponder mandate). The US has an extended mandate covering smaller General Aviation aircraft depending on their location.
- Your aircraft will not be permitted into controlled airspace, so no IFR operations.
- Your aircraft is likely to be effectively grounded
- Your airworthiness covenants with a lending bank are likely to have been broken
- Suffer from potential price rises due to supply and demand
- A lack of capacity availability at aircraft maintenance organisations capable of delivering the work
- A shortage of parts from the avionics suppliers. Already we are being advised of 8-10 week delays for parts.
Honeywell & Gama Aviation discuss the ADS-B Out mandate.
With the deadline to the ABS-B Out mandate less than 2 years away our expert Harry Lees, will discuss how to best implement the required changes to your airframe and avionics suite to ensure your continued flying integrity.
ADS-B Out Expert Discussion Forum.
See the recorded live stream of our expert discussion forum conversation about the upcoming ADS-B Out mandate with our two experts, Harry Lees, Principal Avionics Consultant and Stewart Toye, Senior Honeywell Field Support Engineer (Avionics) hosted by Gama Aviation’s Chief Marketing Officer, Duncan Daines.
ADS-B Out solutions for the King Air
As a Beechcraft service centre and major distributor for Honeywell, Rockwell Collins, Garmin, etc. we have a range of solutions for King Air aircraft including:
- European Rockwell Collins Proline 21 avionics equipped King Airs
- Earlier-generation B200/300 aircraft with Rockwell Collins EFIS 85 flight displays and ProLine 11 radios
- Older 90/200 series aircraft
ADS-B Out for Jets
As a major distributor for Honeywell, Rockwell Collins, Garmin, etc. we have a range of solutions for a wide variety of business aircraft including:
- Premier 1 series
- Hawker series
- Citation series
- Challenger 600 series
- Global series
- Gulfstream GIII, GIV, GIV-SP